Sunday, August 26

One Week

I can't believe my time Managua already equates to an entire week. Wow! This week flew by. I already experienced so many different people, places, cultural differences, different foods, and sites. I have many things to reflect on and discuss with others but mainly I have stories. Stories I hope to share in a meaningful way because all my encounters in Nicaragua so far feel somewhat holy. I want to capture the "magic" behind these moments. Perhaps it's the warm spirit of the Nicaraguan people or the buzzing streets alive with culture.

San Salvador, El Salvador: layover during my flight to Nica
Before I begin, I want to reflect on the fact my family as well as many others are going through some big, transitional phases in life. Some changes are due to the new school year or the time of year. Some are planned events. While other changes may be sudden or unwanted. Then, I have fellow missionaries who are ready for a transition as they restlessly await visas to enter their new countries. As we all know transitions can be hard, but I am constantly reminded that God is with us every step of the way. Also, the community surrounding you is ready to out pour their love and support for you that already exists. I may sound cliche. I may sound like I am simply repeating overused words of encouragement. However, God's unconditional love & the ability for a community to embrace &  support one of it's members are amazing realities that have recently "punched me in the face". Don't underestimate what happens when you rely on God & your community. May you find peace, even if for slight moments, in your times of transition.

This week I befriended as well as trained alongside at different moments two young gentlemen making large transitions in their lives. Harlon & Edwin leave for Kenya tomorrow for 3 weeks of training as Communication for Change participants in order to prepare for several months in Norway. Around 30 other young adults from various countries attend the program as well. They had the opportunity to practice presenting about Nicaragua in front of several of the AMC staff. It was unique opportunity to learn a little more about this beautiful country from two young native people. 

The only problem spending time with Harlon & Edwin is the fact they speak English, so I didn't practice Spanish very much this week. As someone who is certified to teach English as a Second Language and who empathizes when others struggle in English, it is interesting to be on the other end of the process. Everyone is very patient with me and when I say something that makes zero sense, Dona Rosa, my host, puts forth so much effort working with me to communicate. I'm simply amazed how two people can communicate when both parties know very little of the other's language. Presence & patience help tremendously. My fellow missionary, Alex, is going on one year with AMC and he assures(?) me my frustration/anxiety/impatience with learning Spanish will not cease; however, I just need to embrace the struggles. Okay, alright. I'm aiming to embrace my struggles con espanol. 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment