Sunday, January 6


Light within darkness is a constant biblical theme and discussed analogy within Christianity, and as I sit in my room I can still hear fireworks exploding outside. I am reminded of this constant actual physical light which has been present during my entire holiday season in Nicaragua. For Christmas Eve, I sat with new friends and a mom and daughter I had just met. We sat on the 2nd story front porch and listened and watched as these great balls of fire light up the night sky. 


On New Years Eve, my friend Ryan and Sara hosted a small get together with fantastic comida (food).  Alex and I were hosting Harlon and Edwin, two Communication for Change volunteers, and my friend Erich also needed something fun to do, so we had a get together where I was the only one who knew everyone. Yet, we all connected and all stood in awe together that night as we watched a few fireworks.

For the rest of the break, I spent 4 days in San Juan Sur, a popular beach destination on the west coast of Nicaragua where I got to witness a natural form of light; the breathtaking sunset. Also, at night, the giant Jesus statue is the light within the darkness as the statue brightly glows and is seen from any part in town. 


Before leaving for Nicaragua, a dear friend of mine, Keith, reminded me when I look up at the moon no matter how far away I may be; he, too, can see the same big ball of light. I thought of each of my supporters, family, and friends during this holiday season.

And finally, today is the day we celebrate Epiphany. We celebrate and remember when the three men of great knowledge followed the bright star leading them to the Christ child. I celebrated the holidays within another country, with new friends, with almost strangers, without my family and close friends and with many different lights. Warmth and joy overcome me, as I know each of us is guided by the star of wonder. We are traveling together in each moment.

-Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment