Monday, September 10

Just Be

When we over schedule ourselves in the belief that we can do everything, we stop being human and try to be godlike- not only impossible but also incredibly arrogant. Most of us are living at a pace that is not only unsustainable; it's also unbiblical. 

You have enough time to do everything God wants you to do. 

When something small loudly demands all our attention, its noise often drowns out the whisper of what's enormously important. 

-Weird: Because Normal Isn't Working by Craig Groseschel 


Sitting around a simple, green, plastic table draped with a tablecloth adorned with pictures of reindeer and an elf-like character; resides two of my missionary friends, Nicaraguan grandparents and me. For at least two hours we sat, ate, laughed, watched Alex's chicken named "Capitan: Whachew mean?" run around the yard, and simply enjoyed each others company. In Nicaragua, I never set my phone on the table awaiting for it to light up and I find myself worrying less about things I "need" to do. I sat and actually felt fully present with all of these beautiful people and got to discover more about the lives of these two older Nicaraguans who live in the cooler climate of San Marcos.

Whilst training for my Mission Intern ministry, we often discussed the ministry of presence and how many times the most powerful gift you can give to someone is simply being. We mentioned the difference between "doing for" and "being with". It makes me reflect on how many times in my life I strive to do for others. Fix things. Give MY talents. Do stuff. Stay busy. When perhaps, as Groseschel writes, I am trying to be "godlike".

I am living in Managua, Nicaragua. 2,250 miles away from my family (Yes, I am boss on Google Maps). Following a call to ministry abroad. And yet God is curently calling me to BE. To be patient. To seek the small moments. To seek ministry in the simple. To be with others. As a person who LOVES to be busy and LIVES like a crazy person, this is scary to me but for now I've felt the blessings that come with this calling. As time proceeds, I meet more people and find more things to do, I hope I remember the importance of not filling my life with DOING but instead remember to BE.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment