Sunday, July 22

Training is non stop, but I feel like I am learning useful tools and having meaningful, growing conversations. We are now settled in New York City and jumped right back into activities and programming. Before leaving Stony Point, we all shared what we hope for or what we are excited about as we return to the city, while also stating an adjective that forms an alliteration with our names. I shared "Whhhispy Whitney". As for my excitement, I shared I am excited to encounter God within the big city. Most of the time I feel a desire to escape to a nature setting or somewhere quiet, but I want to seek God in business, in the hustle bustle, in the city.

Many of you may be wondering why in the world a bunch of missionaries need to train, even before departing to our countries of service, so let me share some of things we are learning.

  • We began training by discussion the overall theology of mission or the Missio dei. Our leader stated, "mission does not have anything to do with you" explaining how this is God's plan and we are just vessels used to spread the Lord's love and justice. He shared a quote from The Velveteen Rabbit,
"Once you are real it lasts FOREVER"
  •  We looked at the scripture John 3:16 and emphasized that Jesus preaches  
"For God so loved the WORLD..."  
not God so loved America.... or God so loved people who look similar to us.... or God so loved the Gentiles....or God so loved the middle class people.... NO!


"For God so loved the WORLD..." 

  • We discussed our strengths and how we manage conflict.
  • We discussed spiritual disciplines & christian practices.
  • We discussed Breaking the Chains of Power and Privlige
 And I could continue listing the topics we've covered; however, I think the main things I've gained so far from training is a deeper desire to be more intentional with my spirituality, time, perceptions,  and conversations. We are also given a beautiful opportunity to learn and grow together as a Young Adult Mission Service community. Yes, it is a little bit tough spending 12 hours everyday with the same people, but I feel we are growing in so many ways. It is such a unique group. Our groups hails all the way from California and spans the entire United States. There are people from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Liberia, South Korea, Philippines, Ukraine, and Peru. Each of us is here with a different background, different theologies, and different encounters with God, yet we all share this calling from God to work for social justice in an international setting. More, I would say learning how to have a ministry of presence.


Tomorrow I will post about my experience humbly continuing to share my story with a small congregation in Brooklyn, NY.


Peace.
Whitney



No comments:

Post a Comment