Sunday, July 15

New Beginnings

I am currently sitting at the Stony Point Retreat center in Stony Point, NY at the end of my second day of training. For the next 3 weeks, I am participating in training led by staff from the Global Board of Global Ministries with the United Methodist Church as a Mission Intern. We are spending 10 days at this retreat center, 10 days in New York City and 3 days in Crystal City, Virgina/D.C. for our commissioning service. 

When I was a junior in High School, while attending my annual summer camp, I felt a calling into some kind of ministry. "Help others" are the words God placed on my heart. Also, I gained an intense desire to share the joy I had found in Christ with others. As I entered into my freshmen year at Texas Christian University, I carried, without clarification, a ministerial calling from the Lord.

I felt satisfied with my annual sacrifice to attend mission trip, but then I met Larry Cox and I was reminded that Jesus is calling us to do much more than give up one week once a year. Larry Cox understands when Jesus tells us to wash another's feet. When Jesus tells us Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. " For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." Matthew 16 or "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Matthew 19:21.  Larry lived as a wealthy business man and after volunteering much of his time serving an impoverished community in Mexico he felt unsettled and did not want to simply serve once a year or every now and then. He decided to spend his life living and working with Dr. Nancy at Casa Bugumbilla in Matamorros, Mexico. He abandoned his life in comfort and chose to help this medical refuge, which mainly serves the sick and injured within the community.  After living and gaining the communities trust, Larry and Dr. Nancy also help with community development and act as faces of Jesus Chris in the community.  Out of happenstance one mission trip, my group stopped to use the restrooms at Casa Bugumbilla and as everyone started loading back into our van it happened to be me and our adult sponsor, Keith, remaining in the clinic. Keith and I briefly talked to Larry and he gave us a private tour of the facilities. I got to meet this average man who is a grand example of living like Christ and I got to see the people he blesses with his ministry. The Holy Spirit moved me and I have been unsettled ever since that day. 

I am excited and humbled to say that I will be working as a Mission Intern with the United Methodist church. The Mission Intern program is a social justice based program for young adults between ages 20-29. The young adults are placed throughout the globe working with partner ministries and organizations working for justice in many different aspects. The Mission Interns spend 18 months abroad and 18 months serving in a new placement within the Intern's home country. I think one of the coolest components of the program is the "from everywhere to everywhere" piece. Not only does GBGM send ministries from the United States to other countries, but the organization also recruits Interns from outside countries to come train in the United States. The international participants are also commissioned and sent to another country to serve. 

My placement is at Accion Medica Cristiana (AMC) (http://amcenglish.org/index.php) in Nicaragua, mainly in the city of Managua. AMC is an NGO which strives to improve community health through community development initiatives. From model farming to building latrines the organization aims to create sustainable programs which create healthier living situations. 


My job title is Facilitator for Volunteers and Communications. I will help organize the different volunteer groups who traveling to work at AMC, including traveling to many rural cities throughout Nicaragua. During the first 6-8 weeks I will take Spanish classes and live with a local family. 


I'm encouraging and inviting you to join me on my journey, because I want you to also experience what God is doing through hearing my stories and prayer. This adventure is not about ME. I am simply following where God is calling me. I'm going where God is already moving and working. Jesus calls all of us to learn from the meek, the poor, the needy.... I know I'm going to witness the Lord's love in extraordinary ways and I can't wait to share those moments with you. 


As part of my Mission Intern experience I'm expected to raise money for GBGM Young Adult Missionaries during the time I am serving. At first, this terrified me! I didn't want to ask others for money, but then I began learning about how it can turn into a spiritual experience in the sense that I am asking others to take part in this ministry through financial means. I will provide more information about financial support at a later time. I will also continue to ask for, along with monetary support, support through prayer. I know at times I will face trying times and the community are serve will also go through difficulties at times. I strongly believe in the power of prayer and would love for you to join in my ministry through prayer. 


I will continue to update you on my journey and share the overwhelming things I experience as I follow our Amazing God. 

I return to McKinney on August 5th and leave for Nicaragua on August 20th. 


Thanks for your support, love, and prayers!! 


Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment