Wednesday, September 28

Spain- Bob Esponja!

My second day in Espana began with me attending Catholic Mass for the first time. I went with the Vrenkens for Christmas, but before now I've never been to a regular Catholic service. Malori, Norman and I went to the service in the amazingly large and beautiful cathedral in the center of town. Since, Catholicism is such a huge part of many Spanish people's culture, I wanted to see a traditional Spanish service. Oh man, it was traditional. This made me contemplate why so many Europeans don't understand Christianity, think it's boring, and/or don't believe in God. I want to be careful not to disrespect the Catholic church or say they are doing anything wrong, though. However, popular European cities often have an elaborate Catholic cathedral that tourists and Europeans visit. Tons of money and time is put into creating these cathedrals. What about outreach? Reaching out to the lowlt, like Jesus? I know the Catholic church is known for providing many things to the poor and needy, but these cathedrals still make me question the intention behind the buildings. Malori is actually catholic and she says she struggles with the fact that these beautiful structures demonstrate the holiness of God and that we should honor the Lord with the best things, but she agrees that maybe the money should be spent elsewhere. These tourist visit these places of worship, many times little knowledge about Christianity, and see a stuffy place where one feels like they can't breath too loudly. Then, the services are soo boring, emotionless, and methodical. I respect the fact that some people prefer to worship God in such a manner and I believe it shouldn't always feel extremely easy/joyous to worship God, but if I didn't believe in God, why would a lifeless, stuffy service in an extremely wealthy building change my mind? Despite my questions with the cathedral, I'm glad I experienced the service. Also, I understood several of the "churchy" Spanish words thanks to my many years of attending a Hispanic church on mission trip. I was proud of myself. 

The rest of the day we spent exploring the beautiful city. Malori and I explored the side streets, where we found many hidden treasures. I love that Spaniards have what I would call courtyards inside their houses/apartments. Many times people leave the front door to their houses open and inside one can see a locked gate containing an open room full of plants and doors leading elsewhere. While peering into the open doorways, it made me feel like I had a chance to glimpse into the person's life- just a peek.

Also, I spent the first day trying to adapt to the different eating times. Literally, restaurants usually don't serve lunch until 1pm and then dinner until 8:30. I tried a classic Spanish dish called tortilla something. It was made out of egg, tortilla and onions. It tastes pretty bland, but still delicious. I also ate pappas with cheese. Spaniards love pappas y pappas fritas. (Fries & chips). I guess I expected most Spanish food to be similar to Tex-Mex, but that is not the case. Spanish food is pretty bland, while Tex-Mex has lots of spice and zestiness. Oh, and coolest thing EVER..."tapas." It's a small serving size that is cheap and it allows you to share dishes. You order a regular dish, but ask for tapas. It's great!

Well, I guess I'm only going to update little snap shots at a time.... Adioss!

Whitty P

No comments:

Post a Comment