Sunday, December 2

Hello amigos!

I apologize for taking so long to update my blog. I've been pretty busy, as you know, adjusting to city life once again. Quite a lot has happened in the last 15 days, so I will try to summarize my latest adventures.

1. AMC offered a day outside of the office. About 30 people from our office ventured to the city of Masaya to go on a short hike for the day. We saw monkeys, a jungle of green plants, enjoyed each others company and got to spend the day in beauty of God's creation.

My first time to see real-live monkeys outside of a cage. :)

Moises #1

Moises #2


The ladies stretching it out after our walk.
2. Last week was Prayer Week in the AMC office. Scriptures written posterboards lined the different walkways throughout the office; a large banner entitled "Semana Oracion" or "Prayer Week" greeted each person as they rounded the corner from the front office; and the auditorium, filled with new picture displays, flowers, large praying hands, was set up with a "stage" including cameras for video streaming. Each day from 1pm till about 3pm, everyone gathered in the auditorium to partake in a prayer service. Throughout the week we focused on gratitude, unity, compassion, love and each day focused on certain Central American countries. We spent time singing songs of praise and participated in different forms of prayer, as the other AMC offices throughout the country joined us through the inter-web. It was powerful week. A week we were able to take time to be with one another in prayer, when many times we are busy working & working. AMC does have a weekly devotion on Monday mornings, but it was extra meaningful to more intentionally join in as a community in prayer.

3. For Thanksgiving, a few friends with whom I attend Spanish school decided to host and share a Thanksgiving lunch with the teachers and students at our school. I helped Michelle peel potatoes in the morning, which is one of my normal Thanksgiving duties and Sarah thought it would be a good idea to put me in charge of carving the turkey she so graciously cooked for us. -->
A few other people also brought food. We gathered at Viva Spanish School around 12 and we covered several tables with all kinds of food. Not only had our Spanish teachers never tried certain Thanksgiving foods, but we also had Canadians, an Egyptian, and someone from London join the festivities. At one point, a few us even threw a football (norte americana) around in the street. I was impressed when my Nicaraguan friends Jossimar and Marlon threw the football really well after just learning how to correctly throw a football. It truly was a day of Thanksgiving and I felt very blessed to have been surrounded by such a wonderful community.








4. I've also been busy in the office as I begin to prepare for the different Medical International Teams who will partner with AMC in the year. It's a good reminder as to how important the behind the scenes work is for a ministry. Perhaps I can somehow discover the spirituality of... creating budgets.

5. Currently my life in Nicaragua involves simple, common moments. From partaking in beautiful conversation with coworkers during our lunch break

to my Spanish teacher Majorie still teaching me one last thing as I was  walking out the door,

to laughing with friends until it hurts,

to the Christmas lights that decorate the city of Managua,

to receiving a phone call from my hermanito,

to trying to balance clothespins on our noses with my roommate,

to the patience of a vendor when I could not make a decision on what to buy, 

to getting chills listening to a friend describe the lyrics of a Nicaraguan song,

to watching Dona Rosa dance to the rap music blaring out of a car window,

to people "getting mad" and looking out for me for not asking for help when I don't understand a certain thing Spanish,

to a random parrot joining my household, 

to my parents eagerly willing to help me gather any needed resources for my English classes, 

and to so many little things that discreetly reveal the Holy Spirit here in Nicaragua.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the lateness of the comment, chica. Your reflections, like you, are absolutely beautiful. The way you've described the little tender mercies in Nicaragua remind me of all the ones I'm currently experiencing here in South Africa. May you continue to be blessed with many more, and I look forward to reading about them :-)

    Con cariño,
    Hill

    ReplyDelete