Monday, October 15

I think one of the most humbling things a person can experience involves another family opening up their home to you for a significant amount of time. As an intern at University Christian Church in Fort Worth, a wonderful family allowed me to live with them for an entire summer. When I moved to the Netherlands, the Vrenken family gladly welcomed me into their home during my 3 months in Holland.  And here I am now, in La Dalia, Nicaragua, living with an abuela for 5 weeks as I learn more about Acción Médica Cristiana's ministries in this area of the country. A home is a scared place and when willingly allowing an "outsider" to partake in the home's sacredness I think something wonderful takes place.

As you enter the small town of La Dalia, go pass the only gas station, turn on a street lined with small stores, which lead to the bus station, and there, stuck between the store fronts and kiosks you will find the small gate leading to my Nicaraguan abuela's house. As you walk in the gate there are a few concrete blocks leading over the mud and dirt to the front door. My abuela shares the small piece of land with the two other houses. The houses are owned by two of her children. I have my own room and share a large bathroom with the abuela's daughter and grandson, my Nicaraguan hermanito (little brother). Also, one of my co-workers from AMC, one of abuela's sons, lives with us as well. Now, I call him Tio (Uncle) Javier. I really feel at home here in La Dalia.

My favorite room is the kitchen. My abuela's ministry to others starts and ends everyday in the kitchen. It's the place I first met her. The first night I walked in and she immediately had me sit down as she served me hot beans, rice, and tortillas directly from the pan on the stove to my plate. There is a simply wooden table with two wooden stools, a small stovetop, a large concrete washing slab, and another large wooden table. Metal pans line two walls, small coffee cups hang from a row of pegs on the wall, and in the morning sunlight peeks through gaps in the brickwork behind the concrete slab providing some light to the dark kitchen. At different times, different family members or friends come and go from the kitchen and abuela is always ready to serve with love.

As for my time learning and observing the programs, employees, and ministry of AMC's Project Matagalpa, I've already participated in so many different programs and events. The second day after my arrival, I went with Margini to the small, rural community of Granadio. Margini every few months teaches a group of "enfermeras" from the community about new topics or issues regarding health. AMC equips women from the community, the enfermeras, to help their communities with health issues and provides continuing education throughout the year. Doctors and hospitals are not easily accessible in these communities, also they are expensive; therefore, AMC wants nurses in the communities for basic health needs.

Later in my first week, I took a microbus to the community of Coyolar where I met two "prometeras" for AMC. Prometeras are young volunteers who help AMC educate and communicate to people within their own communities.  In general, I appreciate how AMC uplifts the leadership of many young people. I went with the two young ladies to the local school. They brought a beautiful mural and taught the students about dental hygiene. Dental hygiene is a big health problem for many of the communities here in the Department of Matagalpa. My favorite part, and something I actually led, involved singing a song about using a toothbrush. After teaching three different classes, I had the blessing of going with Xochil to eat lunch at her grandma's house. We sat a large kitchen with chickens and dogs sharing the space with us at different times; however, this occurrence is becoming quite normal for me while living in Nicaragua. The family makes tortillas twice the size of my head and I received a refreshing fresh fruit juice. I ate with this beautiful family and reflected on the dental hygiene program. What a simple, yet important and impactful program. Also, I love that AMC empowers young people from the actual communities to help make positive impacts.

During my second week, I went with part of the team out to the community of La Cieba. Violeta taught a two-day workshop talking about the demographics of the community and climate change. Volunteers from the community participated in the workshop and Violeta actively involved the community’s insight and opinions. Each day we served lunch to the participants. The meeting took place in the community's school and the local kids were so curious about the workshop and new people visiting the community. Some kids chose to sit in the back of the classroom and simply watch what was happening while others stood in the doorway or peeked through the windows. For a good length of time the children sat quietly and observed. It was neat thing to witness, considering the fact most kids in the United States will whine and cry if they have to sit still in a grown up meeting. Also, there are two little girls who are actually apart of the volunteer group in La Cieba and at different times Violeta would direct questions towards the little girls. Once again, I witnessed AMC bringing a community together to help their own community.

In the afternoon, after the second day of the workshop, we headed back to the AMC office where we assisted the rest of the office with preparing for the Forum, which was to take place the next day. People made copies, stapled papers, stuffed folders, and worked till about eight that night to finish up preparing for the big event. The next day the team loaded two trucks with tons of supplies and rented tables and chairs for the event. There were banners, posters, fancy tablecloths, and the AMC tent. The event took place in an outdoor auditorium at a local hotel in La Dalia. I got to help behind the secnes and see how hard the AMC team and volunteers worked to put together this forum. The Forum was aimed at the larger community of La Dalia and Matagalpa. Pastors, community leaders, and other people interested in learning about the predicted climate change for the world and for this area in Nicaragua. A little over 100 people participated and the audience was able to ask questions to a group of 3 AMC employees and 1 local pastor. Then, after each presenter shared and answered questions the participants formed small groups in order to write out actions they promise to fulfill after the forum.  There were groups for each community's pastors, CAPS leaders or people who work to help communities have safe water, young adults, people from different communities and a miscellaneous group.  A person from each group shared their intended promises. The paticipants seemed to really gain something from the forum as seen in their strong desires to actually do something with their new information. Overall, I think the Forum on Climate Change went really well and I commend AMC for the hard work spent on preparing and organizing this event.

As I adventure and learn with the AMC team in La Dalia, I carry your support and spirit with me.

Gracias!
Dios te bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment