Wednesday, August 17

Bees & Bikes

Bees in the Netherlands are exactly the same as bees in Texas, yet I have never seen bees in Texas migrate, as a swarm, to a new location like I did here, two nights ago.

We had just finished eating dinner and Tom, Luuk's brother, walked out the back door to go to soccer (football) practice. All of a sudden I look over and Tom has is mouth covered with his shirt, is ducking his head and looking up into the sky. Everyone went outside to see what is happening. Thousands of bees flew above our heads, in a seemingly chaotic manner, yet you could tell they all headed in the same direction- following the queen bee. The bees created a pretty loud buzzing hum as they flew together. It was creepy!

We all wanted to see where the bees were heading, so we walked out to the street and watched as the bees began making a formation on the Vrenken's front tree. Soon, neighbors emerged to watch nature do it's fascinating thing. I don't know much about bees, but I do know they are smart, social, and are extremely good job working as a team to protect the queen. It's fascinating to watch. We all stood as the bees flew above our heads and around our bodies, eventually landing on-top of other bees, surrounding the queen on the tree. I definitely became pretty itchy as I stood and watched. After about 20 minutes, almost all the bees landed on the tree and Gerda, Luuk's mommy, went to call a bee keeper.

After only a short while, two men showed up and unpacked a plastic bucket, a large spray bottle for chemicals, bee keeper swag, and two boxes that held little slates for which the bees would eventually use to form honey comb. Gertjan, Luuk's dad, grabbed a ladder for the gentlemen. Immediately one of the guys threw up the ladder, scaled the ladder spraying something on the swarm, and then ascended once more with a plastic bucket and knocked the entire swarm into the bucket. During all of this, most of us onlookers had taken a few steps away from the action at the tree. Also, the bee keepers had on their bee keeping swag (gear).

The bee keeper placed the swarm in one of the boxes and put the other box on top, concealing the bees, but leaving a small crack for the bees to travel in and out.  Then, we waited. Mr. Bee Keeper #1 informed everyone that the queen bee might still be on the tree, since some of the bees left the box and began creating a formation on the tree, again, so Mr. BK #1 needed to wait. Also, we learned that about 20,000 to 25,000 bees existed in the swarm. Ew!


Pouring the bees into the box.
Everyone watching.


Luuk said it looked like a purse.
I think a chicken body. 
Something you need to know about the Netherlands-- everyone, I mean everyone, rides a bike everywhere. It's so great! My favorite is when I go jogging and I see all the cute old men riding their bicycles back to their homes. The only problem is that I'm not the best on a bicycle. It was a lot easier when I was 10, but I am slowly gaining more confidence and skill. 

Due to the fact that Dutchies ride bikes all the time, they also have really cool stuff for their bikes. For example, I borrow Gerda's bike when I go to the store or a friend's house and she has carrier bags on the back of the back. How handy! It allows you to cycle to the grocery store and still be able to make it back home with the groceries in tow. Also, I am in love with the little baby carriers they have for bikes. The first time I saw one, it made me kind of nervous that the baby would fall out or something. Most of the baby carriers have little "windshields" that go in front of the baby and the baby rides on the very front of the bike. It makes me want to try it out with Asher, my nephew. No, I don't want to see him because I miss him so badly, but instead, so I can try out a baby carrier for a bike. Another cool feature on bikes; permanent locks. All you have to do is turn a key to lock the wheels then take the key with you. However; this is only encouraged when stopping somewhere for a short period of time, otherwise, you should place a large chain on the wheels. Riding bicycles all the time, everywhere is another thing that makes this country so unique.

Apple-shaped bike parking

Peace!
Doei! (Goodbye)
WLPNL

No comments:

Post a Comment