Saturday, May 4

There is a time for everything

"During our first few months in Nicaragua we were apprehensive when seeing a group of machete-wielding men walking beside us on a country road. How things have changed. Today our car was stuck and when two men came into sight our thoughts immediately jumped to "Great, the men with machetes have arrived!"
 -Ryan Schmitz, a fellow-missionary and friend here in Nicaragua who works with the Wesleyan Church

 As I read Ryan's status the other night (yes, this means I was on Facebook and now Pa is shaking is head :) ), I laughed out loud or loled. Not only was I laughing because of his heart warming account of a changed outlook, but I also laughed out of his status' relativity with a conversation I recently had with a friend. 

I remember when I was scared to walk around my old neighborhood. I lived a hop, skip and jump from my Spanish school so I didn't have much reason to have to walk to other areas in my neighborhood. However, I knew I needed to venture out more and try to meet others. Yet, it felt overwhelming, uncomfortable, and dangerous.

When I think about it now, it seems like I was living in a completely different place. It's crazy to think of how much has changed in my view, attitude, relationships, and faith. I feel at home here in Nicaragua. I feel God's presence. I feel loved. I feel a part of the community. I feel pride in my organization and in this country. I feel humbled and blessed to know the people around me. I feel safe. I feel privileged to be able to live here.  I feel overwhelmed by everything I am learning and encountering.

It's amazing to see how many barriers in my mind and heart have changed...

I know I'm going to continue to face challenges here and everyday I am reminded of the issues and hardships that face many people here in Nicaragua, yet I am witness to the miracle of how again the ministry of presence can transform lives- in this case it is my own life.


Amazing God,
Continue to send your Holy Spirit to encourage me to jump head first outside of my comfort zone.  I desire to learn, grow and see your face by surrounding myself with some of your children who I may not really understand or know... right now. Lord, I want to be challenged to cross boundaries like your Son. I trust you will transform my own heart and those around me to see this world more through your eyes. Thank you for my brothers and sisters who live next door and across the world! Thank you for your grace and guidance. I love you! AMEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment